Can Dogs Eat Grapes? The Reason They’re Not Safe For Dogs
Easter is soon approaching and we all like self-indulging, why not there’s so much delicious food around and all so tempting, from chocolate bunnies and hot cross buns….Yummy! But you’re probably reading this and thinking what has this got to do with dogs? well let us explain, we’re all guilty of feeding our dog’s human snacks but easter its probably one of the most dangerous of times we could give our dog ‘human food’ with so much chocolate around and raisins (in the bread) These products are both very toxic to dogs, even life-threatening and causing death, be extra cautious This easter when feeding your dog extra nibbles. Here Pretty Pup looks into can your dogs eat grapes, signs, and symptoms and what you should do nect if your dog has eaten grapes or raisins.
Why Dogs Can’t Eat Grapes
can dog eat grapes? The simple answer is NO! Do not feed your dog grapes, raisins, currants or sultanas, as they are very toxic to your pooches, and can be life-threatening if consumed It’s not known how much substance or chemicals is in a grape that causes poisoning in dogs, but it has been known that’s dogs can react and need emergency assistance after eating one to some dogs eating a couple and not showing any symptoms…. confusing right? This is why it best not to feed your dog any grapes whatsoever and make sure they are out of sight from them so there is no temptation.
Are grapes bad for dogs?
Yes, very, in fact, they are very toxic for your dog, the mystery is we still don’t know exactly what it is in grapes that make it so poisonous for our dogs, eating Vitis vinifera – grapes currants, sultana or raisins – although it is thought dried versions are more harmful, can cause severe reactions to your dogs and even cause death. Remember in human foods they can include currants and sultanas so always think before giving your dog human food here are a few examples of foods that include them:
- Hot cross buns
- Mince pies
- Cinnamon buns
Dog ate grapes
dogs love trying new things so if they see any food lying about they’re going to eat it, unfortunately, each dog reacts differently so there’s nothing to say that because they’ve eaten one they’re going to be okay if you are concerned about your dog to contact your veterinarian immediately.
signs of poisoning normally start to show 6- 12 hours after they’ve eaten the grape/raisins here are some symptoms to look out for:
- diarrhea (possibly with blood in it)
- loss of appetite
- weak when walking (wobbly)
- abnormal drinking
- abnormal urinating
- blood in urine
As it is so toxic to your dogs withing 24-72 hours your dog could develop liver failure and can also cause sudden kidney failure. again if you are concerned for your dog to contact your vet immediately if you think your dog is having a reaction. vets often do induce vomiting when pets have eaten something they shouldn’t have as this is usually the simplest yet most effective way to clear their system. however, dog owners should NEVER carry out this procedure themselves as it can be dangerous, always speak to a veterinarian first!
My dog ate grapes but seems fine
we here this a lot, my dogs have eaten some grapes but seems fine so is it just a myth, can dog eat grapes? well, the answer is NO, we’ve just discovered how fatal grapes can actually be to dogs so if you have found your dog has eaten any types of grapes, raisins, sultanas or current than keep a close eye on them for the next 24 hours after digestion as this is the most crucial time your dog could develop symptoms. if you see any changes or start to see your dog have a reaction or just concerned contact your veterinarian immediately.
signs and symptoms
- abnormal drinking/urinating
- blood in urine
- weak and lethargic
- lack of appetite
What can dogs eats?
There are many different fruit and vegetables that your dogs can enjoy as a healthy snack, and are safe for them to enjoy. Pretty Pup has put some blogs together that explain what your dog can and can’t eat and what foods are safe for dogs to consume.