31 Jul How to Make Your Own Dog Bandana
If you want to liven up or add some colour to your dog’s collar, a dog bandana is a great way for your pet to make a statement. Every dog’s personality is completely unique; show it off by using colours, graphics, prints and text that reflect your pooch’s personality perfectly.
Not only that, but by creating your own dog bandana you can let strangers know whether your pet has any allergies, intolerance or behavioral problems. A bandana has much more space for text than a traditional dog collar, so making the most of this trendy accessory can be super beneficial as well as giving your pup the coolest look around! Many bandanas actually attach to the collar, so if you already have a tag with your name and address then a dog bandana is a great way to have a little bit of fun.
At Pretty Pup, we have a wide range of dog bandanas to choose from – many of which can be personalised. But if you fancy giving it a go yourself, we’ve got some great tips on how to make your very own dog bandana. First up is our method that involves a bit of sewing and some basic sewing machine knowledge. And keep reading if you need a quick 10-minute DIY method that doesn’t require any sewing at all.
What you’ll need…
- A fat quarter piece of fabric. This normally measures 50cm x 55cm. Choose your preferred printed or plain style.
- A bandana template. You can download one from Spoonflower here.
- Sewing machine.
- Fabric scissors.
- Print and cut out the bandana template. There are a couple of different bandana measurements on the sheet – to find the one you need, measure the length of the collar your dog normally wears and divide it by 2. This will tell you which measurement to use from the sheet we’ve provided.
- Lay the fabric you’ve gone for on a table or sturdy surface and place the bandana template on top. Cut the fabric around the template using your fabric scissors – make sure they’re sharp so you get a clean cut.
- Turn the fabric over so that the front side is laid face down on the table. On every edge of the fabric, fold about ¼” and press down. Fold the edges once more (another ¼”) and press down again to get your double hem.
- Use your pins to secure the fold and do a quick top stitch around all the edges to keep the double hem in place.
- Next you’ll want to create the collar pocket. To do this, take the edge at the bottom of the collar (opposite the triangle point) and fold it over so the edges match up. Pin it in place.
- Now it’s time to grab your sewing machine. Stitch across the long edge of the pocket in a straight line. Make sure you stitch it at the front – not the back, so you get a nice, clean stitch line.
- You’re almost done! To finish up, grab the collar your dog will be wearing and pop it through the gap of your newly-crafted dog bandana to check that everything fits.
And voila! You’ve created your very own dog collar.
If you’d like to get really creative with your dog bandana, why not choose a plain fabric that you can fully customise? You could do so much with it, like stitching your dog’s name or a fun message with your favourite coloured threat. Or grab some glitter pens and really go for the glitz and glam. The options are really endless – let your creativity loose!
If you don’t have a sewing machine or don’t have much time for sewing, we’ve also got a quick run-down on how to create a dog bandana in only 10 minutes. You might be glad to know this one doesn’t require any needles or thread!
What you’ll need…
- A measuring tape.
- A pair of sharp scissors.
- An elastic band.
- Printed or plain fabric.
- Grab the measuring tape and measure the part of your dog’s neck where you want the bandana to sit. Make sure you leave enough room so the bandana doesn’t end up being too tight. We recommend adding an extra 4cm to the measurement.
- Lay your fabric out flat and fold it into a triangle shape. Where the bandana has been folded (at the longest edge) will be the measurement you just took.
- Make sure your measurements match up and that the triangle shape matches up perfectly along all the sides. Once you’re happy, cut along the fold line.
- Next, take your bandana with the triangles in either hand and place them around your dog’s neck. Twist the ends together and then tie them up using an elastic band. Wrap the elastic around the ends a few times so the bandana is secure and will stay in place. Elastic bands are ideal as they’ll simply ping off or break if put under any pressure.
- Fold the top of the banner to neaten it up and then take your dog out for their walkies to show off their brand new accessory!
We’d love to see how you get on with making your own dog bandana. Tag us in your pictures on Instagram @prettypupco for the chance to be featured on our page. Or feel free to drop us a message to share your DIY dog bandana stories with us.
If this all sounds a bit too complicated and you’d rather have the hard work done for you, we have a huge selection of dog bandanas available in a wide range of prints. From bows and flamingoes, to polkadot and zig zag designs, choose a dog bandana that suits your pooch’s personality.
We can also personalize your dog bandana using your own logo, graphic or message. Choose your favourite design then upload your files and we’ll personalise your bandana in-house, making it completely unique. No other dog in the world will have the same one!